Factories and Industrial Undertakings (Safety Management) Regulation
The Factories and Industrial Undertakings (Safety Management) Regulation requires proprietors and contractors to implement a safety management system applicable to Hong Kong which consists of 14 elements. Besides the adoption of the safety management system, the proprietors and contractors are also required to carry out safety audits or safety reviews of their safety management systems.
Contact us about your needs and we can arrange the safety management system audit and review services that meet to your duties under the regulation.
14 Elements of Safety Management System
- A safety policy which states the commitment of the proprietor or contractor to safety and health at work.
- A structure to assure implementation of the commitment to safety and health at work.
- Training to equip personnel with knowledge to work safely and without risk to health.
- In-house safety rules to provide instruction for achieving safety management objectives.
- A programme of inspection to identify hazardous conditions and for the rectification of any such conditions at regular intervals or as appropriate.
- A programme to identify hazardous exposure or the risk of such exposure to the workers and to provide suitable personal protective equipment as a last resort where engineering control methods are not feasible.
- Investigation of accidents or incidents to find out the cause of any accident or incident and to develop prompt arrangements to prevent recurrence.
- Emergency preparedness to develop, communicate and execute plans prescribing the effective management of emergency situations.
- Evaluation, selection and control of sub-contractors to ensure that sub-contractors are fully aware of their safety obligations and are in fact meeting them.
- Safety committees.
- Evaluation of job related hazards or potential hazards and development of safety procedures.
- Promotion, development and maintenance of safety and health awareness in a workplace.
- A programme for accident control and elimination of hazards before exposing workers to any adverse work environment.
- A programme to protect workers from occupational health hazard.